Monday, July 12, 2010

Musing Mondays: Distractions...


This week’s musing asks…
Can you read amidst distractions? (tv, others talking, sporting events, etc)
Oh yes, I can without a doubt read amidst distractions. This is a talent I developed growing up in small homes with 5 siblings. It was pretty much a necessary survival skill in my house if I ever wanted to get any reading done. It's funny now though because when I read I still don't hear or notice things around me. My husband can talk and talk and I'll look up eventually and ask, "Did you say something?" 
I think the best story of this that I have growing up is on a long car trip in our crowded van surrounding by my 5 siblings. I don't remember where we were going but it was winter and the weather was awful and the roads were slick with ice. At one point our van spun out of control and we almost crashed into another vehicle (luckily all was avoided and we were fine). 
I missed the entire thing because I was so into my book. My brother was horrified that nothing could get me out of the book and I can't remember his exact comment but he just kept asking what was wrong with me? Haha I just like to read what can I say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment